Tuesday, February 12, 2013

More Hunter and Waif



A bit more thinking about Hunter and Waif. These two just won't leave me alone. They're in my head now, my imagination. And the thinking was primarily about Waif, not so much Hunter. I'm trying out different looks for her. I can't quite seem to nail her down. Should she have big doe eyes or not ? What kind of hat, cap or toque ? Maybe a hood. Scarf or no scarf ? Suitcase, duffel bag or satchel ? For some reason I need to figure this out.




There is a story brewing. I can feel it, and heaven help me, I'm actually considering a graphic novel - ugh ! I haven't drawn a page of comics in many years but I'm feeling inspired. A lot of things have to fall into place first and there is much to do, but I'm thinking about it. Also, in case you're wondering, you don't usually see their feet because they are in the snow. This is a winter story.





These two characters won't be enough though. We need a mean-ass villain to get in the way and really mess things up for Hunter and Waif. A witch would be perfect. A Northern Snow Witch with no scruples and really bad timing, or really good timing depending on your point of view. I have some ideas for her too but that will be the next post.

So much to do now.

More soon.


8 comments:

Thomas Haller Buchanan said...

Yes! A graphic novel! Larry, ya gotta do it!

Your questions were rhetorical, I know, but I'm throwing in my cent and a half . . . I think she starts out round-eyed and innocent, as you've shown her, but over time, as she becomes a unique sort of hunter, her eyes become hardened, partly because of her spartan living, but also partly because she's a bit near-sighted, which hunters should never be. And by squinting, her eyesight improves somewhat. But her hunting techniques are eccentric because she needs to compensate for her senses that aren't up to par for a hunter.

Personally I think the villain needs to break the stereotype somehow, maybe also eccentric in some way.

I know, I know, I'm kibitzing. You don't need to publish this comment, but I still wanted to encourage you on this idea!

Herc said...

OMG! A graphic novel would be AWESOME! It's a good time to do it. The field has really spread out and I think it would be well received.
peace,
Herc

WOL said...

I think Waif ought to have a small bundle tied up in a scarf-- a Russian "babushka" type scarf with bright colors. She holds it by the knot, and the two corners of the scarf stick out. It could be an interesting detail that all her clothing is very plain and drab in color (like her life), but the scarf around the bundle is brightly colored, symbolizing the bundle's importance to her as it contains what little stuff she has, which is all the more precious because it is all she has. BTW, "waif" (orphan) in Russian is "sirota" and "hunter" is "okhotnik" (Okhotnikov for a name?) "Koldunya" is Russian for a hag, sorceress, witch, hex, jinx. Siberia has endless forests and lots of snow. . . .and wolves. . . .

Thomas Haller Buchanan said...

And deer, the Russian for white deer is akmarl, which is also used as a girl's name.

Larry MacDougall said...

Wow ! The cat is really out of the bag now. What terrific feedback.

Thomas I love your ideas but of course everything is just getting started - very early days. Thanks !

Wol - Awesome. All the Russian stuff is fabulous.

Herc - Thanks so much - even more inspired now.

:)

Raul Avila said...

Bravo Larry, la linea se vuelve mas sensible y limpia!


saludos

Raul Avila said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Larry MacDougall said...

Raul - Thank-you :)