Saturday, April 21, 2012

The Wood Carver's Cottage

I ran across this little place the other day while hiking through the Pine Woods on the far side of Gwelf. A very peaceful area to walk as you can well imagine. The hypnotic smell of nutmeg and apples was thick on the afternoon breeze - his wife must have been baking. What's interesting about the area around his cottage is all the little bits of carving you come upon. Ornate little designs carved into tree trunks and grotesque heads fashioned out of old stumps turn up in the most unlikely places. I would highly recommend this walk to anyone the next time you're in the area. I would however avoid the mushrooms in that part of the forest. They are, for the most part very hallucinogenic and will undoubtedly make your return trip an unexpected challenge.


Happy Travels.

More soon.

9 comments:

WOL said...

I am going to begin wishing you will soon be in a place financially where you will have the leisure to settle down to "A Traveler's Guide to Gwelf" or whatever you end up calling it. You have a Frood-level talent that needs to and ought to bear your own fruit, rather than somebody else's. Have you thought of putting together a Kickstarter campaign? I've seen several campaigns that wound up raising 300% and 400% of their really very modest goal. Google "ReMind graphic novel" or "Singularity & Co SciFi" for some cases in point. Something to think about.

Larry MacDougall said...

Wol - Thank-you so much. I have definitely thought about it of course but it will take time to write and plan properly. I have a lot of notes already and will continue to work on this project because it really is my favourite thing to write and draw about. I trust that when the time is right an opportunity will present itself. :)

Tammie Lee said...

how perfect to live in a tree if one is a wood carver...
i feel like i live in the bones of trees... a log cabin ~

Larry MacDougall said...

You're very lucky Tammie Lee. :)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!

Larry MacDougall said...

Christina, Mimi - thanks guys :)

Gabriel said...

That's completely owesome, I've really enjoyed this sketch, I'm completely in love with your pencil work and your imagination.
That's beautiful to imaginate a place like that for living... Thank you for sharing it with us!

Larry MacDougall said...

Gabriel - thanks for stopping by and leaving a kind and thoughtful comment.

John Vargas said...

I just want to say again that this is my favorite corner of the internet. Your stories are so wonderful. Thank you for sharing it, you inspire me to write and draw more! (And I would definitely donate to a kickstarter campaign for your traveler's guide.) Pure magic.