Thursday, January 3, 2013

Witch Market


I have finally decided after much prompting to get out of my comfy little chair and do a sketch/art book. The theme of this book will be "character design" because I love designing characters and much of the work I've been doing recently has been oriented in this direction. Last year I was lucky enough to have been involved in several animation projects where I was doing character design and I am definitely interested in more of the same. So with that in mind I have made a list of possible concepts for the book to use as design spring boards. The Witch Market is the first of these. What I am showing today is the rough work which will hopefully get me to a final drawing. These are still pretty rough and will require some streamlining and simplifying, or perhaps more to the point "designing". But that is what this process is all about - working your ideas and distilling them down to their most simple and clear incarnation. I still tend to get a little pencily. I could and should be more more graphic and direct. Lots to do !


Meanwhile I am still working on the stop-motion film concerning Arctic Mythology that I was working on before the holidays, but it is all top secret and I'm not allowed to share any of that work yet. I will be sharing the pencil work I'm doing for my new book however. This will be an on going project with many updates so stay tuned.



More soon.

8 comments:

Christina Wald said...

Great idea! I would buy it!

I would also shop at that witch market ;)

Larry MacDougall said...

Thanks Christina. :)

Vinod Rams said...

Woo Hoo, put me on the pre-order list!

Larry MacDougall said...

Hey Vinod - just penciled you in :)

Clint Johnson said...

As always, great characters! Your book will be awesome. Now, for the last picture posted, you have an invincible chicken... That sounds like a cool story to be told too!

Larry MacDougall said...

Clint, you noticed. There is definitely a story that needs telling when an invincible chicken is on the scene.

Thanks for stopping by. :)

Ryan said...

That is fantastic. I was just pining for a book on the creative process when it comes to fantasy art. Glad you have one in the works.

Larry MacDougall said...

Thanks Ryan - will keep you updated here. :)