Friday, July 15, 2011

Travel Update 4 - Drawing

I believe I have mentioned before how much I enjoy getting out for a little impromptu life drawing. It's such good practice. Give me a sketchbook and a public place and I'm set for hours. There is just no replacing the kind of observations one can make when drawing in real life from real people. Any place will do - shopping malls, libraries, parks - wherever the people gather. This is of course true when traveling on "the other side" as well. The Faerie Realm is a great place to observe and draw people, which brings me to today's post.

One sunny afternoon last autumn I found myself at a table in the yard of the Forget Me Not Inn on the Old North Road near Gwelf. There were several occupied tables nearby which inspired me to take out my sketchbook and make a few notes.

What first caught my attention was a table of very intimidating looking old women who were having a lively meeting at one of the out lying tables near the trees. There seemed to be an unusual number of birds and cats in their general vicinity who were making themselves quite at home on and near their table. The other thing I noticed about them was that there drinking glasses remained full despite the fact that no one seemed to be serving them, and I shouldn't have to tell you that they were working their elbows quite regularly. I couldn't help but start drawing these ladies right away. What a group of terrific old characters they were.

The importance of discretion in a situation such as this cannot be overstated. It's best if you don't get caught drawing in public, especially if alcohol is present or the subjects have spell casting capabilities. You could have your sketchbook torched, your fingers frozen or your eyes crossed for even the mildest misdemeanor, and heaven help you if some more grievous offense, real or imagined, was suspected. I continued on cautiously from a safe distance.

 
There was also a table of monks close by who seemed to be more than interested in what the old ladies were up to. They were taking notes and whispering intently among themselves as they kept their disapproving eyes on the boisterous ladies across the way. The brothers were all drinking what is locally known as "Tar Ale" which is very similar to Guinness in most respects but somewhat sweeter and a tad thicker. I also was drinking this, although it had not yet started to show in the drawing.


The last of the occupied tables was populated by a group of Foresters who I had seen earlier in the day clearing some recent storm debris from one of the local side roads. Many hours of wood chopping and heavy hauling had led them here for dinner and drinks. They were all wearing their distinctive Forester caps and boots. They were not showing the least bit of interest in either the monks or the ladies. To a man they were interested in only one thing - our joyful and charismatic waitress, Tandy Loomis.

Foresters
Tandy was a fabulous server who had an uncanny ability to know exactly what you wanted and when you wanted it about ten seconds before you did. She made a lot of money in tips as you can well imagine. Tandy was cute and funny and made you glad she was your waitress. She was really working her magic on those poor Foresters who didn't stand a chance in the face of all that natural faerie glamour. I could only guess at how far under the spell I was. There was no way to know, but I did know this - I wanted to give her a tip, as much as I could afford. Luckily for me I was smart enough to bring no more money with me than I was prepared to lose.  Experience had taught me that lesson. Caution is always required.



Happy Travels everyone and peace be with you.

More soon.

Cheers.

17 comments:

Thomas Haller Buchanan said...

Larry, y'got me under the spell. I'm hoping this is the forerunner of an illustrated travel guide to the other side. I'd buy it in a second.

Larry MacDougall said...

Thanks Thoma - stranger things have happened.

tom said...

My dream job would be sitting around drawing from life. I would hope that it wouldn't ruin my enjoyment if it earned me my living though

Craig Phillips said...

These are wicked! I love those old ladies!!!

paolo_gaspare said...

excellent.

Ciao
Paolo

Porky said...

Yes indeed - I vote illustrated travel guide. You hover very well between two worlds, before slowly going over. This really is a lot of fun, for us at least - not sure the women sketched would enjoy it..!

Larry MacDougall said...

Tom - getting paid to do what you love - don't see any down sides there. :)

Larry MacDougall said...

Craig, Pagas - thanks guys !

Larry MacDougall said...

Thanks Porky - I'm glad you're enjoying it - there's more coming.

Sabine said...

Excellent drawings and excellent stories ! :D I'm under the spell LOL.
"More to come" >> Yippiiii ! ^O^

Larry MacDougall said...

Thank-you Sabine - yes, more coming :)

Petar Meseldžija said...

Beautiful, lively characters, Larry! When are you going to publish your sketchbook?

Larry MacDougall said...

Hello Peter - soon I hope !

Martha Barnes said...

¡Me encantan los seres mágicos!!!

Larry MacDougall said...

Thank-you Martha :)

Tom Sarmo said...

Awesome--these are some of the freshest faces I've seen in a long time. Actually ever. I like 'em!

paulsmith198914@gmail.com said...

Your painting is getting better:) Step by step, you are about to become a professional. Utilize custom writing services and become one of the most successful students in your class. It's seamless:)