Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Rambling In Gwelf


The winter winds are still rattling the window panes here at the Mythwood Studio and there is more snow ready to land on us tonight. Yet, as unlikely as it seems, spring is still just around the corner and I know that there are some you who, even now, are planning your first walking party of the season. It is to you that I am directing this post. I would like you to consider an often overlooked route that starts at Cherry Hill Gate  and takes you right through Inverary and on to Tweed. Out of the way, yes, but well worth a try.


I mention this now because the Laughing Willow Inn has just been newly renovated and is again open for business. With that nasty exorcism of last year safely in the past and a new breakfast menu receiving high praise, I think you will find, as I did, that the Laughing Willow Inn is an enchanting place to rest your weary bones after a day or an hour of vigorous rambling. There is always an entertaining gaggle of fellow wayfarers for company and a fresh log burning on the fire.




By all accounts the rooms are snug and cozy and the beds are soft and warm. A perfect place to review your map and plan the next days excursion. Barliman Butterbur himself would find little to complain about in this charming and freshly painted little inn.



It should be noted that I am not in any way affiliated with this establishment and pass along this information merely as a courtesy, which is the occasional purpose of this blog.

One more thing before I let you go. It is my job to state the obvious so please allow me to proceed. The Cherry Hill Gate area can be a little damp and spongy in the spring so I recommend another water proofing treatment  for those old walking boots and be sure to include some extra socks when packing. A poncho might not be a bad idea either. And don't forget, there will be a warm fire burning in the hearth when you arrive.



Thanks for stopping by and be sure to travel safely.

More soon.

8 comments:

Astera said...

My boots are ready. I am just waiting for warm sunny day and a bit of grass to walk on. And most definitely will try to step by the Laughing Willow Inn!

Larry MacDougall said...

Astera - I wish you well on your journey and thanks for stopping by. :)

WOL said...

The Laughing Willow Inn sounds delightful. A worthy goal for a day's ramble.

Larry MacDougall said...

Thanks WOL. This one is for you. :)

Unknown said...

Just stumbled across your blog today–I love both the sketches, and the wonderful prose. I'll definitely be keeping my eyes open for future posts!

Larry MacDougall said...

Thanks Seth. I'm glad you stopped by.

Kris said...


I’m definitely going to have to start following some of these blogs, I just recently got into reading blogs and I’m absolutely loving them so far.
Baton Rouge Outdoor Kitchen thank you!

marketer said...

Thanks for sharing. Always a pleasure to read.